Monday, August 13, 2007

13 August 2007, Orcalab reports:

Orcas near mics.

Calls from the I31s,I15s, A4s and A5s gradually faded away until just after 1am. We had the impression these groups were westbound at that time and may have left Johnstone Strait via Weynton Pass. This morning, after 6am, we have heard (briefly so far) a group come up to Critical Point. We have yet to determine who is there but last night we had lost track of the A30s.
Helena
13 Aug 2007 06:52:16 PDT


Distant calls audible.

The group off the eastern end turned out to be the I15s. They went in for a brief rub and presumably kept going west. A12 and A33 are headed toward them and they are calling now. We are having to rethink our impression about what happened last night: instead of going west the A5s, A4s went east with the A30s. The I15s followed suit. Our remaining question, and perhaps it will onn be answered, is what happened to the I31s? The was a reoort this morning of a group of 9 -12 off of Bold Head. We heard no calls and they disappeared into the fog before any boats were out.
Helena
13 Aug 2007 14:14:52 PDT

No calls but orcas nearby

The I31s finally did show up in Johnstone Strait coming west t o CP with the I15s.
Helena
13 Aug 2007 17:34:54 PDT

Multiple pod calls audible.

A busy night! Shooting stars, excited whales. The I15s and the I31s went through Weynton Pass earlier and met up with the A34s. A12 ansd A33 had rushed up to Blackfish earlier as well but they returned back to Johnstone Strait via Blackney Pass on their own. They continued east and have recently passed Critical Point. Meanwhile, the I15s and Co, after a deep rest off the western end of Blackfish Sound, began to move east into Blackney Pass with the A34s and possibly others. There are a lot of blows going through the Pass. The lead groups are about to enter Johnstone Strait.
Helena
13 Aug 2007 23:22:28 PDT

No comments: