Monday, September 12, 2005

12 September Orcalab reports:

07:50 PDT Orcas (may be) approaching cameras.
Good morning everyone! We've been listening to the I15s & A30s in Johnstone Strait for the past several hours, sometimes in Robson Bight & sometimes more distant. At the moment, they are westbound, with the A30s close to CP. Channel A. We think the A12s may have headed north through Blackney Pass around 3am. We don't know where the A36s are, or what happened to the "incoming" orcas sighted heading east from Port Hardy yesterday afternoon. It's a foggy morning here, and the ocean is calm... looks like another fine day ahead.

08:51 PDT Orcas approaching Orcalab.
At least some of the orcas that were near CP a short while ago are heading north into Blackney Pass. The list of groups present in Johnstone Strait this foggy morning is the same as yesterday - A30s, A36s, A12s, I15s. We think the A12s must have re-entered Johnstone Strait via Weynton Pass silently. The calls we're listening to are on the Parson Island hydrophone.

10:09 PDT Multiple pod calls audible.
This morning is so foggy, it's hard to see what's happening. However, we are fairly sure that the I15s & all the "A1" groups (A30s, A12s, A36s) are in or near the entrance of Blackney Pass. Occasionally, from glimpses in fog, some of them look like they want to head north through Blackney, & others seem to be heading west.

12:37 PDT Multiple pod calls audible.
The world's greatest pingers, the I31s, have arrived on the scene! Quite possibly, they were part of the large group of orcas sighted heading west from Port Hardy yesterday, though we're not sure. They are presently heading east in Blackfish Sound, so we hope to see them soon. It looks like the I15s, who travelled north through Blackney Pass about an hour ago, may have joined them. Meanwhile, the A12s & A36s are foraging at the "top" of Blackfish, & the A30s are slowly headed east from CP, angling towards Robson Bight.

14:39 PDT Orcas near mics.
we had a visit from some of the I31s, others remained in Blackfish Sound. The small group included I46, I80 and I62 spread out in Blackney, lingered, foraged and milled before turning back to the west to join the rest of their family & the I15s. The A12 s and the A36s moved on to Queen Charlotte Strait. The I15s moved over toward the Hanson Island side of Blackfish Sound putting them between the I31s and the A12s. The A30s as far as we know remaind in the Strait.

16:13 PDT Boat noise
The I15s went back to the Strait via a small passage adjacent to Weynton Pass. The AS30s gave a brief but intense burst of calls just prior to this move. We do not, at this moment, know what happened to the A12s, A36s and the I31s. The A12s were vocal for a time in Blackfish just before the I15s made their move.

17:17 PDT Multiple pod calls audible.
We think the a30s have arrived at the beaches while the others make their way east along the Vancouver Island shore from Kaiakash to east of Blinkhorn.

17:44 PDT Orcas near mics.
The A30s have finished their rub abd headed off to the west. The I31s are passing CP to the east. Others are following.

18:06 PDT Orcas near mics.
The A30s have returned to the Bight while the I31s, I15s and A12s continue east toward them.

19:49 PDT Orcas rubbing on the shore bottom.
The whales have arrived at the beaches again. (?As first)

22:53 PDT No orcas present.
We've heard no calls for several hours & think A30s, A12s, I15s, & I31s have headed to the east in Johnstone Strait. The A36s are probably somewhere to the north/west of us. We are waiting.

No comments: