Friday, September 16, 2005

16 September Orcalab reports:

Multiple pod calls audible.

From the sounds the whales seem to be making their way back to the west past the Reserve. We have heard so far the A30s, G17s, possibly the A36s and either (or both) the I11s and I31s. The I15s will probably add themselves to the list at some point as well. Lovely morning, lovely whales even with the persistent boat noise.
Helena
16 Sep 2005 07:16:56 PDT

Orcas (may be) approaching cameras.

Some of the westbound orcas are on the Cracroft Island side of the Strait, passing CP. Channel A. Others are on the Vancouver Island side, near Kaikash. It looks like at least some of them are going to head north through Blackney Pass.
Paul
16 Sep 2005 08:22:08 PDT

Distant calls audible.

We're hearing occasional distant calls on the Critical Point hydrophone as the orcas move to the western end of Johnstone Strait. A few minutes ago, we also heard distant calls on the Flower Island hydrophone, though we're not sure who was making them.
Paul
16 Sep 2005 09:42:00 PDT

Distant calls audible.

Just a short while ago we started hearing the A36s and G clan calls (I11s most likely) on Flower Island. Previous reports from the whale watch boats had said that the I11s had doubled backed through Weynton Pass after just reaching the Strait. The impression then was that the other groups including the A12s nd the I15s continued east in the Strait. We have not heard any calls other than the A30s in the Strait so we are waiting to see where the various groups end up tonight. So far today we have heard the A30s, A12s, A36s, G17s, I11s and I15s. The I31s were reported east yesterday.
Helena
16 Sep 2005 18:10:08 PDT

No comments: